ROCKLANDS PRIMARY SCHOOL


Our story thus far; 1979 to present.

 

On the 4th April 1979, Mitchell’s Plain Primary School (No. 33) was opened and Mr R.J. van Boom was the principal. The school was housed in Rocklands High School’s building.

When it opened, the school had 532 learners. The numbers grew swiftly and by the end of that year there were 1373 learners. This number increased to 2000 by the end of 1980!

In January 1980, Mr N.S. November assumed duty as principal of the school. It was during his term that the school’s name was changed to Rocklands Primary School. The move also took place from the high school grounds to its current location during his term.

Mr November left the school in 1985 to take up the position of Vice Rector of Roggebaai Training College.Mr Scheepers’ term started hereafter. He was principal until 1996. He is now a minister of religion in the Anglican Church.

The learner numbers dropped in 1995 as children were allowed to attend former model C schools. At present (2013) our learner numbers stand at about 900.

The school and the community are indebted to these previous principals for the sterling work they did in establishing a proud culture of learning and teaching in our school.

Mr Pretorius (Handwork and Geography teacher) accepted the responsibility in 1996 and is still our principal to this day. He continues to instil the philosophy of healthy minds, healthy bodies and healthy environments in our parents, teachers and learners.